Tuesday, January 26, 2010

excatly right now

I am sitting on a couch that is coated with this goop. At least I am strongly suspicious of it, although not because anybody in my family has thyroid disease. I am suspicious because I remember many years ago (too many to name...you don't really want to know how old my couch is) I remember paying about 75 bucks extra for the couch and loveseat we bought to be treated to make them stain resistant. At the time, of course, it seemed like a decent idea. We wanted to protect our investment.

Now that it's time to buy a new couch I am much more inclined to lean the other direction and look for natural fibers and materials. It may be a bit of an overreaction but I am sure that I have spent a lot of time snuggled down under a blanket just like I am right now: 6 inches from the fabric surface, likely coated with PFOA.

It's a little icky to think about I must say.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

want to be a doc?

This article from the NY Times has something to say about the likelihood you'll do well....and it is not about your GPA.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So we all know the platypus is weird but that weirdness goes way beyond anything I ever imagined. This stuff wasn't in my biology book.

I am left speechless.

Platypus Genome Explains Animal's Peculiar Features; Holds Clues to Evolution of Mammals

Saturday, January 9, 2010


I don't remember where I heard this, but it was recently: the story is that someone created some serious fright with an old prank that involves some chemistry. Baking soda had been poured into ketchup bottles, and when the bottles were refilled and capped, the vinegar reacted with the soda and created pressure inside. The next person who opened the bottle was startled when the pressure blew the cap and contents out of the bottle.

The story is that this caused an actual bomb scare. I'm dubious, and I can't back up my story because I don't remember where I heard it and I can't find anything on Google.

There you go. I'm not suggesting anybody do this. But maybe I'm suggesting we should all be cautious when we're getting into the ketchup bottle at our favorite family restaurant.