Sunday, December 27, 2009

restaurant recipe hack: successes and failures

This entry would go into a category titled "trivia," if I had such categories for my posts. It also shows I've been away from the lab for a little too long.

One of my favorite menu items at a local pub is tortilla chips with artichoke-jalapeno dip. The dip is awesome but it goes over the top good because they bring the stuff out and it's all hot. I realized a while back that having warm chips was key to making this stuff special. And then I found some really good dip at the store, and decided I could easily heat everything at home.

So I hacked the recipe--or more like the presentation--by heating the chips for about 5 minutes in a 300 degree oven. It was perfect.

The next day I thought I'd repeat the experiment. But I didn't want to wait for the oven, I was hungry, and for a moment I stopped thinking and stuck the stuff in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Result? Bubbly hot dip. Cold chips.

And a reminder that microwaves work by heating water, which absorbs microwave radiation. There is virtually no water in tortilla chips. The oven is worth the wait.

No comments: