Thursday, December 31, 2009

shenanigans

Somehow I need to reorient myself to the holiday of New Year's Eve, because I just am not much of a fan of it. I think it's a holiday tailor made for extroverts. As a card-carrying introvert the parties, crowds, and general noisiness causes me stress.

So for a slightly intellectual, introspective take on noisy New Year's party fun I'd like to introduce you, dear Reader, to Bassam Shakhashiri. "Dr. Fun" is so utterly fun and charming that he can make an auditorium full of chemical educators sit on the edge of their seats, waiting to see him demonstrate something they've not only seen 10 times before, but that they have probably done themselves 10 times before. THAT's how cool he is. He's a smiling sage.

I got to thinking of him as I thought forward to the fireworks that will come out tonight. You might want to look at his web page on fireworks. And if that's not your thing, help yourself to any of the other marvelous and accurate descriptions of chemicals of the week, or for that matter anything else at Science is Fun.

After all it's a new year tomorrow, and an opportunity to do something new.

No comments: