Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cahn-Ingold-Prelog Rules

Ochem students: you may remember today's brief discussion of the rules for assigning priority to groups around a chiral center. I promised I'd get back to you about an issue that came up in relation to this. I was unsure of myself on an issue surrounding what I think we can call a more-complex example. Well, I am disappointed in the textbooks in my office. None of them provide an explanation that is adequate to deal with the structure we were looking at in class. But there is a straightforward (if not simple) way to solve the problem.

And, as usual, it was I who was misapplying the rules and not our esteemed author.

Guess where I found a good description, illustrated with examples, concise, accurate, etc.? My favorite web source: Wikipedia.

No comments: